I would like to know how the two leading candidates stand on certain issues, so I can decide whom to vote for:
1. Will you upgrade all primary schools in the country to the standard of primary schools in Colombo?
2. Will you hold examinations to recruit people to the public service? This was recommended in the Youth Commission of President Ranasinghe Premadasa.
3. Will you abolish the practice of allowing the Cabinet of Ministers to give additional points to those taking competitive public examinations? As we all know, favoured candidates get more marks.
4. Will you ensure equality and fairness in granting promotions in the public service?
5. Will you appoint a new commission to replace the Salaries & Cadres Commission?
6.Will you retire those highly placed Ministry officials who are over 60 years and who readily change their ties and sarees to match the colours of the winning candidates? Unless removed, these individuals will continue to serve only themselves and their ilk. This unfair practice should be stopped, because it keeps down those who deserve promotions.
I am still not sure whether to vote or not, after living to regret having voted for certain leaders in the past.
The country needs justice and good governance and no favouring. That is what all we taxpayers are praying for.
J. P. Silva,
Via e mail