BTEC HND Awarding Ceremony - 2011
It is a great pleasure for SLT to have the fourth 'Awarding Ceremony' for BTEC Higher National Diploma for the students who have successfully completed the course at the training center of Sri Lanka Telecom PLC. Awarding ceremony was held at Waters Edge on 2nd of August, under the patronage of Mr. Greg Young, CEO-SLT having Prof. Harischandra Abeygunawardena (Member of University Grant Commission/Former Vice Chancellor of University of Peradeniya) as the Guest of Honour.
BTEC HND is a pre degree, professional qualification awarded by Edexcel International, UK, preparing students for both Degree education and Employment. The students willing to obtain their degrees can get admissions to the 3rd year of B.Sc. or B.Eng. in more than 100 universities in U.K., U.S.A., etc. Sri Lanka Telecom Training Centre now offers BTEC HND in both Communication and mobile communication.
SLT Training Centre
Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT), the national telecom service provider in Sri Lanka is the pioneer in telecommunications in the country. SLT has succeeded in building and maintaining a world class island wide infrastructure which has become the communication backbone of Sri Lanka,
The Company has also paid high attention towards training and development of both its employees and the future leaders of the country. Annually 14000 heads are trained through the Training Centre in diverse disciplines in both theory and practice. SLT has five training centres in the major regions of the country, including Welisara and Moratuwa. All the training centres consist of well equipped laboratories with state of the art technology that is continuously upgraded to give students exposure to emerging technologies.
The aim of the centre is to deliver vendor-independence, high-quality training courses that provide delegates with real-life experience of ICT in addition to imparting theoretical knowledge. As such, SLT courses include plenty of practical hands-on time and the small class sizes ensure the best learning experience possible.
Sri Lanka Telecom Training Centre consist of:
- Libraries: With Reference Section, Lending Section, Periodicals & Newspaper Section and Audio Visual section.
- Computer Labs: There are many 'fully air-conditioned' computer labs, with a seating capacity of 20 seats in each. All the labs are fully networked with Internet connectivity via 4M ADSL lines.
- Data Comm Lab: Especially designed for Cisco router configuration, Advanced Cisco router configuration, layer 2 switching, Cisco and VOIP trainings.
Multi Protocols Label
- Switching (MPLS) Lab: Specifically suited for conducting Tellabs data node (Leased line) trainings, MPLS (Multi Protocols Label Switching) trainings and CCTV(Closed Circuit Television) trainings.
- Instrumentation Lab:This lab is well equipped with a wide range of measuring and testing instruments, and tools enabling the students to gain a thorough knowledge as well as practical skills in electronics, including electronic circuit designing, repairing and calibrating.
- Transmission Lab : Fully equipped with a complete set of STM16 Ring network including STM1 and STM4 Terminals with 'Add & Drop' Multiplexers.
- Optical Fibre Lab: Equipped with required equipments to carry out measurements such as fibre cable splicing, fusion splicing, mechanical connector method, etc
- Copper Cable Splicing Lab: Practical work of PE cable courses is conducted in this lab. Identification of cable pairs (color code) Splicing of cables using butt connectors, modular connectors and Faults location of cables.
- Training Bay for overhead network training: Overhead network practicala are conducted to
impart skills required for installation,& maintenance
- Extra-curricular activities : The training centre encompasses multiple facilities for extra-curricular activities including a standard cricke t/soccer ground, badminton court, volleyball court, table tennis facilities and a Gymnasium.
Degree/Diploma Courses conducted by SLT Training Centre
- Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT)
- BTEC HND (Telecommunications)
- City & Guilds (Telecommunication Systems)
- City & Guilds Certificate Level
- City & Guilds Diploma Level
- City & Guilds Advanced Diploma
Instructor led short courses conducted on demand
- (1) Certificate in Applied Telecommunication system
- (2) Digital Microwave Radio
- (3) Synchronous Digital Hierarchy & PCM
- (4) Fibre Optic Transmission Systems
- (5) Digital Transmission ANS Multiplexing
- (6) Polyethylene Cable Jointing & Closure Techniques
- (7) Optical Fibre Cable Splicing Measurement
Data Com Courses
- Certificate in Data Network Administration
- Cisco Router Configurations
- Implementation of Computer Network
- Modern Electronics
- Digital Techniques
- Fundamentals of Microprocessors
- Certificate in Applied Information Technology
- Multi Media and Web designing
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2003
- Certificate in J2EE
- Developing Widows based application using VB.NET