ISSN: 1391 - 0531
Sunday June 01, 2008
Vol. 42 - No 53

CR get down to business

By Harry Jayachandra

CR and FC took up the challenge laid down by Kandy last weekend with a superb display of open rugby. They thrashed CH and FC by 44 points (five goals, two penalties and one drop goal) to 8 (one try and one penalty) in their Caltex Segment ‘A’ Division One rugby league match played at Longden Place yesterday.

CH and FC seemed overcome by the red mist that hung over them before. As soon as the whistle blew as the red shirts launched on an onslaught. The visitors were made to pay for their misjudgement under the high ball and not making their first time tackles. CR and FC dominated the line outs and rucks and mauls. Pavithra Fernando and Dushantha Lewke were outstanding as they along with last year’s skipper Anuruddha Dharmatilleke won numerous line outs against the head. CR and FC also recycled the ball quickly sent it out to their backs at every given opportunity. The victors also showed a massive improvement in ball handling and made very few unforced errors in the first half. One wag commented that Fernando seemed to be getting better as he gets older.

CH and FC’s players were made to look laborious and as the first half came to a close the only thing that needed to be decided was the margin of defeat. If being down by 22 points to 3 at lemons was not disheartening enough, within six minutes of the restart even the most die hard of CH and FC’s supporters would have been thinking of ‘damage control’. This was after Number 8 Dushantha Lewke scored his second try.

A CR & FC player is about to initiate another break as he takes off with the ball. (Pic Ranjith Perera)

CH and FC did well in the scrums, but did not spread the ball wide as they should have. And it was not until the last 15 minutes that they showed what they are capable of. By then though it was a typical case of ‘too little too late’ as wing three quarter Niranjan Wickramarathna scored what could only be termed as a consolation try.

Not only were CR and FC’s forwards impressive but their backs as well. Stand off Dev Anand certainly had his kicking boots on as he converted four of the five tries, put over two penalties and sent the ball through the posts for a fine drop goal from 35 metres out in the dying stages of the first half.

Fullback Mohammad Sheriff who scored the first try was a constant threat in attack and rock solid in defence. Former Nalandian Nishan De Silva kept knocking on the selectors door with two more touch downs while second half substitute Senthil Kumar converted one try.

Referee – Anura Rankothge

Yellow Card – Shamil Mohammad (CR and FC).

Today – Kandy SC will meet Havelocks SC at Nittawela and Army SC take on Old Zahirians SC at Police Park. Kick off for both matches at 4.30pm.

Top to the page  |  E-mail  |  views[1]

Reproduction of articles permitted when used without any alterations to contents and a link to the source page.
© Copyright 2008 | Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.Colombo. Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.