In the midst of all the hectic planning and shopping for Christmas, we often forget that God has given man the responsibility of taking care of the Earth. In fact, the Book of Genesis (1:28) in the Bible states clearly that Man is the Caretaker of the Earth. Read the first chapter of Genesis and realise that man cannot live without the environment.
So, this Christmas, let us make an effort and make a difference. Here are ways in which we can be responsible Christians this Christmas:
1. Make yourself (or buy) a cloth bag to carry groceries and goods and take it with you when you go shopping;
2. Say no to polythene bags – these bags do not biodegrade, and when they are thrown away and get buried, they make the soil infertile;
3. Use paper to wrap your gifts;
4. Try to use minimum packing material, because packing material becomes garbage in the hands of the person who receives the gift;
5. Use your imagination and make decorations out of discarded or waste paper and assorted items.
Protecting the environment, even during Christmas, is not easy. But the environment needs to be protected.
May you have a wonderful Christmas doing exactly what God wants you to do, namely protect His wonderful Creation – animals, plants, soil and, of course, fellow human beings.