By Tharushi Weerasinghe
Sri Lanka’s emergency response to Cyclone Ditwah unfolded under immense pressure this week, with national and district authorities activating early warnings, evacuations and search-and-rescue operations as the system intensified.
Yet many affected residents told the Sunday Times that they only realised the severity of the cyclone by Thursday night, raising concerns about how effectively warning systems functioned on the ground.
Residents in areas with power interruptions, like Kandy, were also completely cut off early on since no warnings had been given to residents to charge their devices or prepare alternative communication methods.
Read more in today's Sunday Times here
You can share this post!
Content
The Colombo–Kandy main road at Pahala Kadugannawa has been closed indefinitely after a deadly rockfall in the area that left six people dead and four others injured.
Read this week’s Sunday Times for your interesting articles
The Cyclonic Storm “Ditwah” moved further north from Trincomalee today evening leaving a trail of destruction including more than 90 deaths, over 100 missing and tens of thousands displaced, officials said.


Leave Comments