A mother, daughter and son were burned to death due to a house fire in Alayapaththuwa, Anuradhapura.
The mother was aged 30 while the daughter and son were aged 10 and 5 years respectively. The 37-year-old father was admitted to the Anuradhapura Teaching Hospital with severe burn injuries.
Police said the house where the victims lived had obtained electricity illegally and in an unsafe manner by connecting wires to a neighbouring house and that a petrol can was also in the premises when the incident occurred.
Further investigations are ongoing.