The Government has decided that state-sector employees, including the security forces, will not be allowed to work beyond 60 years of age, Public Administration Minister John Seneviratne said yesterday.
The move would mean that as estimated 12,000 public servants who reach the age of 60 this year will not be able to continue in service after December 31.
At present more than 2,000 public servants, most of them holding senior positions, obtain extensions every year.
Mr. Seneviratne said that under the new regulations, public servants would also not be able to use their unutilized leave and work beyond 60 years.
At present, public servants who have unused leave accumulated over the years use it to work beyond 60 years.
The minister said the main purpose of the move was to enable the younger generation to get jobs in the public service and the junior staff to get promotions.
He said representations had been made by trade unions which said that a large number of public servants had been deprived of their promotions due to senior staff members continuing in their positions.
Public Administration Ministry Secretary D. Dissanayaka said the new regulations would also apply to the armed forces and the Police.
He said the Public Administration Ministry made an attempt to introduce a similar move in 2007, but it was unsuccessful. Mr. Dissanayaka said the new move would be useful administrative wise as at present some of the decisions taken by the staff about to retire were not suitable.